Tuesday 3 April 2012

Omega Seamaster Ploprof 1200M


A watch I have wanted for a very long time, which I strangely saw for the first time in classic car magazines. The original wasn’t terribly well finished, and according to one of my very knowledgeable clients, a must for any watch collector, but not really waterproof. Omega introduced a completely updated version in 2009 featuring their very accurate co-axial movement.

The original was developed in conjunction with Comex and the legendary Jacques Cousteau, Omega conceived and developed what was probably the first waterproof watch designed and built solely for the diving professional.

The watch took 4 years to come to the market after extensive testing and arrived in 1970. It was nicknamed PloProf by the French speaking development team and derives from the French term PLOngeur PROFessionnel (Professional Diver). The watch was very expensive and the top of Omega’s range at the time of its launch. It is unclear, and unlikely, that Omega recouped its development costs in the model’s life-span between 1970 and 1979. The watch was a hit with professional divers but its price, approximately twice that of a Rolex Submariner, kept many hobby divers away.

The Milanese or “sharkproof” bracelet (Omega’s name not mine) is just what one needs for the mean streets of Mayfair. The chance of a shark biting exactly where my wrist is I would peg as quite slim, and would probably enjoy the softer parts of my arm above the watch, or my supple hand. If he did decide to bite where the watch was, I am assuming the pressure exerted by his jaw would probably crush my wrist. Makes for a good story nonetheless.



No comments:

Post a Comment